Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

iPhone - To Game or Not To Game


Being a gaming blog you expect to see news here about multiple games, their systems and news; I'd figured that I would write about the 360 and PS3, DS and such but I never thought that the iPhone would be one of the platforms that I wrote about for serious gaming.

I've had my iPhone for almost 6 months now and I've browsed the App Store a lot more than I should have; but in doing so I'm starting to see an interesting trend. People like to game on their iPhones. Not just little farming games like Tap Farm or tapping games like Tap Tap Revolution but we're talking Call of Duty and Final Fantasy's on the device you're supposed to talk on.

I have several big name games myself: Call of Duty- World At War- Zombies, Final Fantasy I & II, a South Park game, Monkey Ball, and Where's Waldo to name a few.

As I'm writing this in fact, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is now available on the App Store. More and more game developers are seeing Indie games blowing up on the iPhone and they want in. Just browsing as I type this I see several games from Ubisoft and EA in the "Top Paid" section of the store. Even Street Fighter IV is on here....

My question in this, is it because people unconsiously want to game or do they just buy it to pass the time in a line; or maybe a little bit of both? Phones used to be just for talking; texting then made the scene, then e-mails, IM's and basic games. Now I'm playing Monopoly on my iPhone after I check my Twitter, G-mail and Facebook...(Everything I said goes for the iPod Touch as well). Oh well, progress is progress, right Skynet?


-Armand

No comments:

Post a Comment