Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

WTF South Korea?

I am what one would call....a gaming addict. I've played several hundred games and own about that many as well. I've found that there are a lot of people like me in America, we love playing video games and most of the time we're damn good at it. Well, the people in South Korea are so fond of gaming that the government is actually going to begin imposing limits on its underage gamers; a mandatory 6 hour blackout.

The new policy is going to "cut off online gaming" to some relatively well known games such as Maple Story and several others. In full swing the cut will effect roughly 19+ well known Korean games. How does one enforce this type of policy? Simple, if someone is spending lengthy amounts of time on the net, just slow down the internet to the particular household in question until its relatively stalled out.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (the ones organizing this craziness) isn't completely against gaming though. In fact, they're picking and choosing the games that will be part of the cut off; popular MMO Lineage won't be but the games Dungeon & Fighter and Dragon Nest, among others, will be. They're not completely cruel either, the gamers get to choose their cut out time period; midnight to 6 a.m., 1 a.m. to
7 a.m. or 2 a.m. to 8 a.m.

Not a bad idea in my opinion. In all actuallity, if the person has a job or goes to school they're normally sleeping at that time of the night/morning. Even if they aren't, like myself, they normally knock out around 2 and don't get up till 7:30 a.m. for work at 8 or 8:30 leaving really no time to hop online and do anything meaningful. I don't want that to happen Stateside though, I enjoy the occassional super gaming binge where I play from when I get home until work the next day, but at the same time, it would probably help me sleep if I couldn't play anything on the internet....there's always C&C Generals campaign though.

-Armand

No comments:

Post a Comment