Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

Video Games, A Dental Cash Cow?

I'm not one who's prone to go out of my way to do anything. In fact, the less I do the better I feel at the end of the day. Most of my daily accomplishments come from my daily gaming; to which I owe my amazing hand-eye coordination and lack of money. Hell, while playing I may enjoy a Pop-Tart or if its that time, I'll have a full meal between boss battles or matches. One thing I always make time for in the morning and before I hit the hay is brushing my teeth. It may sound silly to bring up here but I assure you, this is totally serious business.

According to a study done by the University of Iowa poor oral hygiene can come from playing video games! Apparently kids and teens between the ages of 12-16 have dietary habits associated with gaming on consoles or computers and conducive to tooth decay. I'm sorry but what?! I don't know about the rest of the U.S. but I'm pretty sure that kids will eat anything if it: 1) Tastes good, 2) Is sweet, 3) They can get their hands on it or 4) Can nick it when their parents are looking. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH VIDEO GAMES!!!

I am sick and tired of gamers being singled out as the cause for school shootings or people dropping out of school, getting fat or having to get a filling. This is absolutely ridiculous. Everything that someone does isn't because of what their pasttime is! I would just as quickly grab a glass of water as I would a Capri Sun pouch and a friggin' granola bar just the same as a Pop-Tart! It just depends on what I want at that particular moment and if I'd eaten anything else that day. Everything someone does is of their own free will. If the kid is too goddamn lazy to walk to the kitchen and grab some milk rather than a Coke its their own, and the PARENT FOR BUYING IT, fault. If the parents didn't leave the kids alone to do as they please and smack 'em if they step out of line, I guarantee you'd find healthy, fit, pleasant to be around children who smile with a mouth full of pearly whites.....

People need to get their heads out of their asses and really start re-evaulating their lives before they start blaming it on a simple form of entertainment. That's my rant for the day. Goddamn studies...always pissing me off....
-Armand

No comments:

Post a Comment